Product Managers work cross-functionally to guide products from conception to launch by connecting the technical and business worlds to the end-user. Continuous discovery will create products that are valuable, usable, and feasible. You will be the voice of your products in industry and customer conversations. To be successful in this role, you should have a deep understanding of customer-centric product practices and expertise in understanding the customer journey, planning, and product development.
Essential Function and Job Responsibilities:
- Continuous product discovery (3-5 customer calls per week) to understand customer needs
- Review prototypes with customers to validate assumptions made during product discovery
- Conduct market and competitive analysis to support product development efforts
- Work side-by-side with business unit personnel to ensure seamless process integration for marketing, sales, and support operations and to balance the market, business, technical and customer needs to ensure product viability
- Conduct win/loss/churn interviews with customers
- Network with key stakeholders outside your own area of expertise to help build your network.
Define User Stories
- Generate and refine detailed user stories from customer needs and solution requirements that guide prototype development.
- Work side-by-side with engineering and product designers to develop and test prototypes with target customers to establish Minimum Valuable Products (MVP) that are both feasible and valuable
- Maintain the functional quality of the work being delivered by setting and evaluating expectations and acceptance criteria and communicate priorities based on well-defined and measured business cases.
User Acceptance Testing
- Conduct user acceptance testing to ensure delivered product meets acceptance criteria and matches prototypes
- Identify and work with customers to beta test new features before full release to make sure customers’ needs were met.
Roadmap & Backlog Grooming
- Establish, refine, and communicate through the business and to customers a shared understanding of the vision and roadmap planning for your product; ensure the prioritized backlog aligns with the roadmap plan.
- Maintain a prioritized product backlog to ensure the maximum value of the delivery team, to enable realistic forecasting, alignment with the roadmap, proper communication, and expectation-management
- Communicate with Marketing and Sales teams to ensure the business is informed of the direction and status of the roadmap
- Establish goals and manage to your product scorecards – communicate progress across internal and external stakeholder groups
- Develop a deep understanding of the business drivers of your products – profitability, pricing, services mix, sales channels, etc.
- Continuously monitor where your products are in their life-cycle and work holistically across the business to manage lifecycle events (end of life, new product launch, etc.)
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Experience in analyzing market and competitors to discover new market opportunities
- Analytical bend to be able to understand the story that data tells. Define success metrics, track key business, and usage analytics.
- Typically requires a minimum of 4-6 years of product or related experience with a bachelor’s degree or greater. Familiarity with enterprise-class customers and products will be helpful
- Experience in Pragmatic Marketing and Scrum or other Agile development practices, methodologies and tools is preferred
- Demonstrated ability to lead through influence
- Can-do attitude with a demonstrated ability to get things done under minimal supervision and drive results across cross-functional teams.
- Adept at understanding and curious about new technologies, systems, and tools.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, solid presentation skills, and proven ability to run effective meetings; comfortable interacting at all levels
- Experience being the voice of the customer in an organization through the authoring of the user personas and stories, requirements documentation, and product specs
- Very strong interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to achieve results through influence.